Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Here we go again

The time has come and can no longer be delayed. Once again the annual assault on our stoic denial of feeling for our women comes around again. It is not that we do not love our women, it is just that to have to sit up and perform our duty does not always go well with us, okay me. Perfunctory is not where I live...

Valentines day seems to have noble faith roots. The thought of a man marrying believers against an unrighteous repressive edict, strikes one as a brave courageous valiant act. The question is how did we get from there to pajamas in a tin, a weekend in Vegas or some genetically modified chocolates?

I would not want there to be any hint here however, of me not loving Mrs 3xl. Far from it, she is my lifelong love and one for whom nothing is too much. Its just that when someone has to tell me to perform it feels like I am being molded in to a shape I do not want to go, or asked to fall in line with no other reason for it other than it is expected.

For 3xl a call to do the expected is never warmly received. Ever the quiet rebel, and against the flow 3xl would like to find other times and ways to honor his missus when he wanted to do it and in the way he wanted to. Now what does that say about me... who cares, I'm a rebel remember.

So in uncharacteristically short style I will write a poem for this auspicious non occasion and trust that after 23 years, Mrs 3xl knows me well enough to laugh at me rather than beat me up.

Throughout the ages some have gazed up to the sky for signs,
Some lovelorn souls have gone outside to ponder and opine,
While others struck by cupid's dart gaze on their love and sigh,
But now in modern practical days we send a valentine.

When I was young and gauche and sweet and found affection hard,
When girlish giggles and smiles and looks could silence a nascent bard,
When friends would nudge and wink at me, and point from places far
Then in those days I do confess, to purchasing a card.

But now when love has been displayed for many a wondrous year,
When the love of my life is constant, and my affection's focus clear,
Is it right for me with some disdain to stand and give a sneer,
Or is their space and no disgrace to pander once a year.

Roses are red violets are blue,
my love for you will always be true.

Happy Valentines day dear.

No comments: